Tuesday, March 8, 2016

To Keep Kosher or to Not Keep Kosher

This question is one that I have considered before, but pre-EIE I have always ended up answering this question with a "no way I LOVE cheeseburgers, AND bacon, AND shellfish." Now, though, while I am forced to keep kosher here in Israel and am learning about the specific laws in Jewish History class, I have been exposed to a new perspective on keeping kosher. Today in class we learned about how, in the Torah, God speaks to Moses and says "do not boil a kid in its mother's milk" and Moses is left to interpret it in the way he thinks is right. But today, according to Oral Law, the rules of keeping kosher seem to be a lot more strict. When I hear the word "kosher" I immediately think about dairy and meat and how they are not meant to be eaten together at all, along with not eating shellfish and pork. However, in class we discussed how the rules of keeping kosher can be interpreted in many ways (surprise, surprise) which is similar to just about every other law that is written in the Torah. It was interesting to hear everyone's separate opinions on what it means to keep kosher, and it has truly opened my mind up to whether or not I would remain eating kosher even after I arrive home in America. 
With this thought in mind, I would have to consider many things. For instance, would I strictly separate dairy meals from meat meals like I do here? Or would I go by the literal meaning "do not boil a kid in its mother's milk" and simply not mix red meat with dairy? Also, would I be able to keep myself from eating bacon? Maybe so...there's always turkey bacon as an alternative (but we all know that it doesn't taste as great). Another decision I would have to make is whether or not I would eat shellfish ever again, which keep in mind, is one of my FAVORITE foods. Basically, I have a lot to think about: is my Jewish identity worth sacrificing delicious food for? Does keeping kosher really matter all that much to me? I personally believe that following a few certain Jewish laws as a Reform Jew is not so important. On the other hand, how can I define as Jewish if I don't do what is traditionally practiced? There are a lot of unclear answers to a lot of big questions involving Judaism, and the interpretation of keeping kosher is definitely among them. 

1 comment:

  1. I suggest that if you concentrate on following the Ten Commandments, you'll do fine!

    Papa

    ReplyDelete