Monday, February 8, 2016

שבת שלום!

This past weekend I had my very first Shabbat lunch in Israel with my friends, Tamar and Dani. Shortly after arriving in Tel Aviv at Dani's aunt's apartment, I immediately felt consumed by the Israeli culture. Although we weren't having our Shabbat meal with Dani's family until the next day, her aunt, Nili, had already set the table and most of the food was cooked. The view from her high rise building was breathtaking, especially when the city lit up at night. Not only was our trip a cultural experience, but it was also an easy and fun way to practice my Hebrew. Because Dani's family is fluent in both Hebrew and English (with the exception of her adorable baby cousins who only speak Hebrew), practicing my skills with them was much more enjoyable than learning in a classroom. Her
Savta, which means grandma in Hebrew, made enough food to feed an army (keep in mind that this was the most delicious food I had ever eaten and of course I stuffed myself until I felt like I was going to explode). Leaving Nili's home Saturday evening was a bittersweet departure; I was happy that I had just experienced my first traditional Shabbat meal, but upset because I was leaving such a welcoming home.
Something about the Shabbat meal as a whole made me feel like I was in the presence of my own family, when in reality I was/am half way across the world. It's amazing how such an unfamiliar culture has become a part of my life so quickly and the friends I've made here in Israel already feel like family. I cannot express how grateful I am that there is still more than three months left for me to experience more aspects of the Israeli culture, while strengthening the friendships I have already made, as well as creating new friendships along the way. Hopefully I get to visit Tel Aviv again soon, and learn even more about the exciting traditions that are followed here in Israel.

3 comments:

  1. So happy for you, Emily! And I'm really impressed by your writing skills! College grad level for sure!
    Love you,
    Papa

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete