Sunday, February 14, 2016

NFTY vs. EIE: Shabbat Edition

Throughout these last few weeks, I have noticed several similarities and differences between my experiences at NFTY-NE events and my experiences here in Israel. For example, at NFTY events and here on EIE, upbeat melodies to prayers are included in our interactive services. Also, each and every service is led by the participants themselves, making it very enjoyable and relatable. However, there are also small differences between the two, such as dressing up only for Kabbalat Shabbat and evening services at NFTY events, while we dress nice for the entire weekend here on EIE. On Friday morning, everyone left the Kibbutz for Tzedekah: some people went to take care of homeless cats while two other groups (one in which I was a part of) went to nursing homes to cheer up the elderly by singing them some familiar and unfamiliar songs. This part of the day, although it was heartwarming to see the smiles we brought to some faces, was a bit of a challenge considering I know very little Hebrew which prevented me from having conversations with any of the members. After we returned, we all had a few hours of free time and then we prepared for evening services. The madrichim (counselors) divided those who stayed on the Kibbutz for the weekend into two groups, each group going to a different temple that night. For me, this was an experience that I will never forget; my group had gone to a different Kibbutz that also had a farm......let's just say my nose will never forget this service. In spite of the unusual scents that my friends and I experienced while walking to and from the bus, the service itself was small and cozy which made it more intimate than any other service I have participated in.
However, the most eye-opening part of my weekend was definitely Saturday morning services. When services first started, I wasn't sure how great they would be considering the small amount of time the T'fillah Committee had to prepare. But to my surprise, it may have been one of the most relatable and meaningful services that I have ever been a part of. Surrounded by my new, yet very very close friends, singing familiar NFTY tunes to the prayers, and watching those who mean so much to me succeed in chanting Torah was inspiring to say the least. I realized during this service how proud I was of all the people that had the confidence to lead us in prayer, to read from the Torah, and to deliver the D'var Torah. I realized during this service that even though I am more than 5,000 miles away from home, I have made my own home out of this community.

1 comment:

  1. You are experiencing so much at EIE, Emily, and it seems that you are "absorbing" everything! It's wonderful and the very reason for being there!
    Love, Papa

    ReplyDelete