Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Sunday School Nostalgia

   On Sunday, my beit sefer class of preschoolers, kindergarteners, first and second graders had their closing ceremony at our temple: Congregation Beth Jacob. I began teaching last year when the former teacher, Sheila Finer, grew ill with cancer and unfortunately passed away. Before she resigned as a teacher, she asked me to take her place and continue to teach the children that I had helped her and other teachers in the Congregation with. I was more than happy to accept her offer, but I knew that it was a bad sign that she could no longer teach the class herself. When Sheila passed away I made it a top priority to follow in her footsteps and teach her class every Sunday while making her students feel as comfortable as possible with their brand new teacher.
   Since my first day as a Sunday School teacher I have developed that greatest relationship with my students and I miss them a lot. I miss seeing the smiles on their faces when the littlest things excite them, and I miss seeing the light appear in their eyes when they've made a connection to the lesson they're learning. Thanks to my mom and Ashley (my little sister) each student made me an "I miss you" card. When they and Erica (my older sister) came to visit me, they brought the cards and I was completely surprised. Each student created their own unique drawing or wrote a letter and each card put a huge smile on my face. I was so glad to know that they were thinking about me and miss me, and I'm more excited than ever to return home and see each and every one of them.
   Part of me wishes I was home to see my students on their last day, but the other part of me loves it here on EIE. I know that when I get home I'll have a lot to offer for next year's curriculum and I'm eager to share my new knowledge with the Temple Board and pass it on to all my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment