Monday, May 9, 2016

What Does it Mean to be a Part of אם ישראל (the people of Israel)?

Throughout this entire semester, my Jewish history teacher has asked our class the same question over and over again: "What does it mean to be a part of am Yisrael (aka the people of Israel/the Jewish people)?" However, every time he asks us this question he phrases it in a different way. In other words, each discussion we have always relates back to the Jewish people and our role in the issue or how we should act in certain situations. For example, in the very beginning of the semester when we were learning about the people, the laws, and the land of Israel, Aaron (our teacher) asked us what aspects of Chalachah (Jewish Law) should be required for reform Jews to follow. Basically, he asked us which laws are important and which laws are not important, and why we don't need to strictly follow Chalachah like Orthodox Jews do, but can still consider ourselves Jewish. Until I was asked this question, I had never thought about it at all. Then I grew a little concerned because for my entire life I had always called myself a Jew, but in that moment I could not even give my Jewish History teacher a straight-forward answer about what exactly makes me Jewish. At first I began to argue that as long as you do something that relates to Chalachah then you are Jewish. But, of course, Aaron countered my statement by saying, "so if some random person, for example, doesn't drive on Shabbat does that make him/her Jewish?" And I replied with, "of course not!" But wasn't that what I just said? Ever since that very first week in class I have been questioning my Jewish identity and I have been trying to think of more things I can do around my Jewish community in order to confidently say that I am a practicing Jew.
However, I have come a long way since that very first week of Jewish History class. If someone were to ask me right now what it meant to be a part of אם ישראל I would answer with this:

To be Jewish is to love your community. To be Jewish is to give back to society. To be Jewish is to learn Hebrew. To be Jewish is to have a Bar/Bat Mitzvah and to read from the Torah at least once in your life. To be Jewish is to know the difference between the Temple and a synagogue. To be Jewish is to know that a menorah is actually called a Channukiah and that a menorah has nothing to do with Hanukkah. To be Jewish is to go to Israel and learn about the history of our people. To be Jewish is to witness with our own eyes the places in which six million of our ancestors were stripped of their identities and murdered. To be Jewish is to prevent the Torah that was smuggled into the Women's side of the Kotel from being ripped out of Women of the Wall's hands. To be Jewish is to educate those who are not educated on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and to long for peace between them. To be Jewish is to experience the utterly amazing culture of Israel.

Believe it or not, there are many more things that are meaningful to my Jewish identity, but I'm sure no one would want to read a list of four months worth of newly gained knowledge about how I identify with Judaism. So I'll just leave you all with that. That right there is what it means, to me at least, to be a part of אם ישראל.

6 comments:

  1. What is your take on the Palestine/Zionist conflict? To quote your post: "To be Jewish is to educate those who are not educated on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and long for peace between them.". Please educate me, and the other readers of this blog, why the extermination of a culture is perfectly fine in 2016.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see in any part of my post how someone could even loosely interpret that I said in any way "the extermination of a culture is perfectly fine in 2016," because I completely disagree with that statement. I am not implying that any culture should be exterminated. I simply said that people need to have knowledge on the conflict before taking a position on it, meaning it is those who are educated's job to give them that knowledge. I also hope that one day peace will come between the two peoples, and that does not mean in any way that a culture must be exterminated in order for that to happen.

      Delete
    2. Referring again to your quote, "To be Jewish is to educate those who are not educated on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and long for peace between them." it seems that you are implying that you should educate people who "long for peace between them" as to why they are wrong. If they already "long for peace", then what must you educate them on? I am only asking for this "knowledge on the conflict" that you claim to be so eager to spread, because what "educated" sources have told me is that there is an assimilation of cultures going on in Israel in the name of Zionism. ( http://goo.gl/DHT4Ys , http://www.palwatch.org/pages/news_archive.aspx?doc_id=7808 ) I'm also asking for more information regarding why you have decided to make aliyah, and promote the "Jewish State" as much as you do? I am also questioning what sort of "peace" you are promoting? Excuse all of the questions, but you are writing very short, vague blog posts on a very complicated world topic that many people are interested in.

      Delete
    3. I am not implying that we should educate the people who are longing for peace, I mean exactly what I said: the people who are not educated on the conflict should be educated in order for people to understand both sides before criticizing one or the other. Along with that, I myself long for peace between the two peoples. The reason my blog posts are so vague is because this is a class assignment for a Jewish History course on a high school study abroad program. I have not made Aliyah and I have not decided yet whether or not I will in the future. Before I arrived four months ago, I was unaware of most of the issues that Israel is dealing with currently. However, since my stay here in Israel, I have learned more than I ever expected to learn about the history of the Jewish people as well as the state itself. This post is only meant to express what being Jewish means to me and how much my Jewish identity has changed since I arrived here in Israel.

      Delete
    4. Thank you for your response! That gives me a much better understanding of your situation.

      Delete
  2. ^^^ truuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu get rekt kid

    ReplyDelete